We leave from Piazza Venezia, dominated by the marble monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, King of Italy and the Palazzo Venezia. It was once a very small square into which flowed only via del Corso, on all four sides were stationed Palazzo Venezia and its building, the Palaces and Nepoti Torlonia and Palazzo d'Aste Bonaparte. Played a major role from the point of view of architecture and especially political because the homonymous palace was the seat of the ambassadors of the Venetian Republic and later the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
The decision to build the Capitol and the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele and transform it from papal square hole in the new Italian political-moral environment caused a distortion of the square.
The Palazzo Venezia became property of the Italian State (1916), and is notorious for the fact that the former government, Mussolini addressed the crowd from the balcony.
On the right of the monument to Vittorio Emanuele, you reach the square of the Ara Coeli. From the square, at the foot of the Capitoline Hill, start at 2 steps: on the left the Ara Coeli, built 1348-1358, steep-looking and unadorned, to the right of the Capitol, and large marble, adorned at the top of the statues of the Dioscuri .
The project of five hundred of the Piazza del Campidoglio by Michelangelo Buonarroti thought that direct it to the Basilica of St. Peter thus setting a reversed perspective. At the center of the copy of the statue of Marcus Aurelius on horseback. After the restoration was completed in 1990, the original is kept on the ground floor of the Capitoline Museum.
The hill, with the important religious and political functions that housed, played a role of great importance in the life of the city. In the Middle Ages Tabularium and other buildings were fortified, the open space was home to the market, while the public functions of government activities continued on the hill. The symbol of this continuity is the Senatorial Palace, built on the Tabularium, that since the building was home to the Roman Senate in 1143 and now houses the offices of the Mayor of Rome.
The current structure of the square is based on the design Michelangelo created for Pope Paul III Farnese and was designed by different artists until 1651, when it was made the New Palace. The Senatorial Palace, completed in 1561, has a bell tower and a double staircase, under which there is a statue of the goddess Roma and two giants that represent the Nile and the Tiber. In the center, on a pedestal, there is a copy of the bronze equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius.
The Palace of the Conservatives, the seat of the judiciary in the Middle Ages, and the New Palace (left of Cordonata) now house the Capitoline Museums.
Coming down the mountain by Tarpeo and passing away of Consolation Roman Forum and Via del ragiunge Via di San Teodoro. Further down this street on the right, see the church of San Giorgio al Velabro and the Arc Argentariorum. The church dedicated to the martyr greek in the seventh century by the Byzantine colony, named after the Velabrum, the swamp that was at the foot of the Palatine. In 1993, a terrorist attack destroyed the porch and the tympanum, saving only the tower of the twelfth century. Adjacent to the church is the Arcus Argentariorum, access to the Forum Boarium, dedicated by the silversmiths Emperor Septimius Severus in 204 AD The animation of the area had to be notable for the presence of the cattle market and the port that was located here until the time of Trajan. The Arch of Janus, dedicated to the god Janus, the times of Constantine.
Mouth of Truth
The church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin (sixth century) is known for hosting the porch of a manhole sewer said Mouth of Truth, a mask of stone which popular belief attributed the ability to bite the hand of liars. The interior of the church, 3 aisles, contains works of great value. Crossing the square, adorned with a fountain eighteenth century, we head towards the ancient temples of the Forum Boarium.
Going along Via di Ponte Rotto to the Tiber, you reach the medieval Casa dei Crescenzi, decorated with pieces of Roman temples. Ahead is the Broken Bridge
Along the Tiber the Pierleoni stands a large quadrangular building: it is the Jewish Temple. Completed in 1904, the temple, with the Museum of Jewish Art, is built near the ancient Ghetto created in 1556 by Pope Paul IV.
The area is still large Jewish community during that fascism was subjected to terrible persecution. A visit to the Ghetto you can see the combination of medieval, Renaissance and Roman remains, and enjoy the ancient Roman cuisine.
Cross the Ponte Fabricio you reach the Tiber Island. The island opposite the harbor site of the Temple of Aesculapius, the god of medicine. In the tenth century on the ruins of the temple was built the church of St. Bartholomew, who became the Confraternity of the millers, who until the flood of 1870 produced flour on floating plants.
Famous as the most Roman neighborhood of the city, in the streets you can still feel the atmosphere of the quiet life 800 thanks to the preservation of the historical context and craft shops. In the evening turns thanks to its numerous local, distributed in the most hidden places. The route begins at Piazza Sidney Sonnino, reachable by tram 8 from Torre Argentina.
The neighborhood, popular in ancient Rome residence of non-Roman citizens, including many Jews, with the advent of Christianity developed around the basilicas of Santa Maria, Santa Cecilia and San Grisogono. These churches can now be referenced in the division of the district, created in the early '900, with the opening of Viale Trastevere. The church of San Grisogono is on the street, the other areas identified in part different. S. Maria and the homonymous square is the center of neighborhood life, characterized by the narrow streets and the air that preserves folk. Established in the fourth century, and rebuilt nela present form by Pope Innocent II, Santa Maria in Trastevere has a facade decorated with mosaics shown with a Romanesque bell tower.